Friday 23 September 2011

Everybody gets one

There's no good time for a mid-life crisis. I mean, there are better times than others. Like when you are 35, have lots of liquid cash and no dependants. No-one wants to realise they've wasted their youth at 55 - because, frankly whatever the New Yorker's been telling you, life does not begin at 60. It begins as soon as you work out that getting good grades means a good univesity means a good job means disposable income. Or the chance to help people. Or be a photo-journalist. Or a hippie. Or whatever this particular decade's arbitrary aspiration of choice is.

I've decided to go early. I'm young, money to spare, and still in good working order both in terms of infrastructure and software.

The world's my oyster (apparently). Despite being a quote which most take to imply open opportunity, the phrase actually originates (like so many other pithy phrases) from Bill Shakespeare.

Merry Wives of Windsor: Act 2, Scene 2, Line 2:
Pistol: Why then the world's mine oyster/Which I with sword will open.

The oyster cannot be merely taken, it must be prised from its shell. With force and action only may the world be opened to you and its pearls harvested.  I think I have taken the world and its treasures for granted too long.  It's almost certainly only child's syndrome but I've been reliant on things being handed to me for too long.  My sword is unseathed - but where to place it.

Career? Relationship? Country of Residence?

Everyone gets a chance to make a change - to pursue their dream, to fulfil themselves, to write their Booker prize winner. Some people get lucky and have more opportunities, but everyone gets one. 

The problem with writing a book is, you actually have to write a book.

The problem with writing one book is, you really need to write another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment