Monday 26 September 2011

1000 characers or less to heartbreak

Well, today, I decided to make a bold statement of intent and signed up to a well-known on-line dating web-site.  Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to use it, and in any event you have to pay for a subscription to contact other members, which I'm not going to do so the whole exercise is entirely academic.  In fact, the whole point was that it was academic - describe your perfect match in 1000 characters.  A challenge beyond the tasks of Hecules surely, but it went a little something like this:
"Someone who likes talking about things: discussing them and analysing them.
I want to meet people who cry in films because the music is just "so", and read books that they hate and want to talk about them any way.

Someone articulate and well read, and learned and enthusiastic and talented. Someone who makes me feel inspired everyday to get out of bed and be amazing.

Someone who know how to hold hands properly (see Franny and Zooey), and who doesn't care that the initial infatuation is just the intent interest in another's life (see The Heart of the Matter). I want someone who knows which vegetables that Tess pulled, and the reason why Room should have been a novella. I want some-one who watches films with respect, but knows when they don't deserve it. Someone who is not afraid of being aggressively intelligent, or heart-breakingly vulnerable.

Someone who will get up at 6 in the morning to go for a run, or go to bed at 3 in the morning because there are still important things to say. Someone who is an idealist and a realist and doesn't see the contradiction.

Or failing that, I want someone who this that all of the above sounds amazing and wishes that's the way they had lived their life all along. "

I stopped and put down my metaphorial pen. 

I already know this girl and she is a thousand miles away, figuratively and literally.  I already have this woman in my life.  She's already at the end of a telephone line, or the click of an mouse.  I already know this girl's merits and her flaws, her strength and her weaknesses.  I can flatter her and lie to her and tell her painful truths about her and about me and about us.  I can climb inside her mind and nest there feeding on her ideas, and I know the warmth of her skin and softness of her heart and the steel in her mind.  I have encompassed her and she has devoured me. 

She exists, she exists, my heart screams.

I know this girl, and I know that she is already married. 

And so we come back to the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment